Welcome to the Somers High School Writing Center
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I sign up – how do I schedule an appointment?
You may sign up via the Bookings Page.
How far in advance should I schedule an appointment?
Because students will be scheduled on a first come first serve basis, please schedule your appointment well in advance of any due dates you know about. For lengthy assignments, you may wish to schedule future sessions to work progressively.
What should I work on with the writing coach?
Consulting with a writing coach helps you advocate for yourself and use available resources to your advantage. We will strive to help you:
- Approach all kinds of writing tasks including but not limited to short answer responses, essays, reflections and more
- Improve general writing skills and areas of frustration/resistance regarding the writing process
- Review exemplars before an in-class writing assessment to review the expectations for specific writing tasks, such as literary analysis, thematic essays, DBQ essays, etc.
- Brainstorm ideas, plan or revise a college essay.
- Challenge yourself to submit to and/or publish creative writing in Gambit, On My Mind, Tusker Times, Scholastic Writing Contests, TeenInk.com, or the Somers Historical Society.
How do I make the most of my Writing Center session?
To make the most of your session, be sure you have any copies of classwork and materials that will help you describe the assignment, determine how you will be assessed/graded (rubrics) and other related notes/exemplars or drafts you started. Note: if you have already started the assignment, please e-mail your draft in advance or be able to retrieve your draft in a timely fashion.
What if I need to cancel?
As a courtesy, please inform me as soon as you know of any cancellation.
Our goal is to equip students with tools that enhance critical thinking, show the value of conferring about writing and lend a process to help students easily identify evidence of their own growth and independence as a writer.