Frequently Asked Questions
Why should you join a club at Somers High School?
- Pursue a topic of interest in a way that goes beyond what is done in the classroom.
- Make friends: Joining a club or organization is an easy way to meet people who have the same interests as you. What better way to spark a new friendship than to talk about something you know you both already enjoy?
- Skill Development: Clubs and organizations are a great way to help develop your character and the skills that will benefit you in school, your career and in life. Skills like commitment, leadership, effective communication, and being able to work successfully in a group all come from participating in a club or organization.
- Networking: This word may not have crossed your radar yet, but if it hasn’t, get acquainted. Your network is a group of people you are connected to for various reasons. When you make a new academic, personal or professional connection with someone or start a new relationship we call it networking. If you’re looking for new opportunities, a job, a recommendation, a favor or anything along those lines, the people in your network can help you.
- Build your resume for college or a job: When it comes to college applications, admissions boards like to see students who are diverse in their interests both inside and outsideof the classroom. No club or organization is better than the other, so choose something that truly ignites your passion. Also, if you’ve never had a job before, a good way to show experience is to join a club or organization and use your involvement as proof of proficiency.
Student clubs and organizations have a lot to offer. Whether you join, create or lead one, participating in an extracurricular activity will not only enhance your school experience but also help prepare you for your future endeavors.
What Clubs and Activities do we have?
There are many different co-curricular activities at Somers High School. We have separated them by category below. To see a list alphabetically, go to the Student Life section of the high school’s website.
If we do not have a club that reflects your interests, see Ms. O’Shea in the Student Life Center to find out how you can create one.
When can I join?
Most clubs accept new members at any time. The best way to join is to just show up to a meeting and to join the Schoology group. If a club is for you, keep going to meetings. If it is not, try something different.
How will I get home from after-school meetings?
There is a 2:50 pm late bus on Tuesday-Friday. This bus goes to Somers Middle School and then students will take a middle school bus home. On Tuesday-Thursday, there is a 4:00 pm late bus which does an additional pick up at the Middle School and then drops students near their homes.