Mission: We, the Somers Central School District Counseling Department, will nurture our school community by advocating for and promoting a healthy learning environment in order to ensure individual student success in current and future endeavors.Vision: Our school counseling program is designed to foster authentic student to counselor relationships wherein each student is valued and able to recognize his or her own self-worth. We will make a concerted effort to communicate and demonstrate our concerns for and commitment to our students. As a result, each student will feel that he or she is valued as a member of the school community. In the Somers counseling department:
Values: In order to advance our shared vision of an excellent counseling program, we will:
- Attention is focused on facilitating the successful transition of our students between the four schools.
- Each student and family is provided the information, assistance, and support that enable him or her to develop personalized educational and career goals.
- The social-emotional well-being and academic progress of each child are continually monitored, and appropriate services are initiated as needed.
- The resources of the department are available to individual students, families, classes, grade levels, and teachers.
- Professional learning is encouraged and supported in a collaborative environment.
- Provide each child with a safe and caring environment that enables him or her to develop appropriate educational and career goals.
- Collaboratively monitor the social and emotional wellness of each child and deliver personalized services.
- Grow as a professional team and build on our strengths.
- Recognize and respect different developmental levels of readiness of each of our students.
- Provide support to students and families in the present and future.
- Model the honesty, integrity, and respect we hope to develop in our students.
- Provide appropriate confidentiality to colleagues, parents/guardians, and children.
- Collaboratively work with our school community to deliver the most effective programs, services and resources possible.